Processing of cord blood
Cord blood is transported straight from the hospital to a specialized processing facility. In order to ensure a high standard of safety of the biological material, the processing of hematopoietic stem cells takes place inside boxes with laminar air flow.
- At the beginning of the processing itself the collection bag, collected samples and the necessary documentation are all given a unique number code.
- The volume of cord blood and the total amount of nucleated cells in cord blood unit are determined.
- The process continues by centrifugation and the addition of a cryoprotective solution.
- At the same time samples of cord blood are prepared for the quality control.
- The prepared cord blood unit in a protective metal casing and the samples are placed in the cryopreservation device.
- This device ensures the gradual balanced freezing until the required temperature. The whole process is monitored the whole time.
- The cord blood unit is hermetically sealed in a special freezer bag and placed in a biological container in another protective casing.